Saturday, September 27, 2008

I have put MY words in your mouth

Jeremiah 1:5-9, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." "Ah, Sovereign Lord, " I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." but the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth."

Do you ever feel like Jeremiah? The Lord calls you to do something and you think, no, Lord I'm too young. There's no way I could do that. What a beautiful promise we can pull from this Scripture. Jeremiah doubted himself (how many times do we do that?)--but the Lord not only told him not to be afraid, that He is with him....but the Lord reached out His hand, touched his mouth, and said "Now, I have put my words in your mouth." We eventually read in Jeremiah 20:9 how Jeremiah is referring to the Lord's Word. "His word is in my heart like a fire." Jeremiah had the presence of the Lord burning inside of him. He had the words from the Lord on his mouth and the fire of God burning inside of Him.

This is what we have to have to become "world changers". To be a world changer we must allow God to burn HIS presence in our hearts.

Wednesday night we had a special visit from our very own Kurt Miller via "satellite". Kurt is a man that has his heart set on fire by God. He shared with us what the Lord is doing on his campus at Lee University. The Lord is breaking through with fasting and a prayer movement. How exciting! We asked Kurt what it meant to him to be "set on fire." He had a few words of wisdom for us.

Being set on fire is:
  • Being hungry. Never settling for anything less.
  • Luke 24:32, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?" We must be hungry for the Word. A continual burning in our hearts for the Word of the Lord.
  • In His own personal experience, the Lord started showing him His love. Kurt said, "Me & Jesus loving each other....that's what it boils down to." Kurt longs for a glimpse of His love-"Show me your love Jesus."

We asked Kurt, "We want our hearts set on fire. What do we do?"

In the words of Kurt:

  • Time Management
  • Praying in the Spirit-builds up your inner man
  • Fasting-Christianity 101. Matthew 6:16, "When you fast.." Jesus did not say if you fast, but when you fast.--whatever it is, even if it's one meal a day--the Lord honors it. To be hungry for God-you gotta be physically hungry.
  • Meditation on the Word. Get your heart on one verse, read it, pray it.
  • Read the Word as a whole.

Kurt is an example for us today...as there are many in the Word--James, Elijah--they all gave themselves fully to God. They made themselves available.

God sets His people on fire--not through methods, not through buildings. God sets His people on fire by anointing His people. God anoints you. God uses you. He will do this as you allow Him to set your heart on fire. Ah, to be filled with His Inner Presence. Ah, to be in that place is what my heart longs for. How about you? God uses one man, one woman, set on fire for Him. Oh, Jesus would you baptize us with your fire.

Are you overwhelmed yet? May you be encouraged today that you do not have to "do" things to gain His favor. He just wants your heart. May you be encouraged to spend time encountering the God of fire--as we do, we are set ablaze by Him. As we spend time with the God of Power, He will release the power of God.

No comments: